Sunday, February 03rd, 2013 | Author:
INDT CAT

“Cross-Eyed Finger-Eating Cat”

When I looked at the three image search options for this week’s blog post, I realized how lucky I am because I could have pulled ALL of them from my own hard drive.  I have two cats that are constantly cracking me up, a plethora of photos and artifacts in my home from my husband’s trip to Egypt, and also an uncountable number of pictures of monuments from my many visits to the D.C. Metro area.  Alas, the assignment was not to pull pictures of my own, but to find an image that someone else had produced.  I chose to search for a cat image via google and found the included image of the cross-eyed finger-eating cat.

Here are the image search strategies I used:

-Open Google advanced image search
-Used the search phrase “amusing cat”
-Selected Image Size “medium”
-Selected “filter explicit results” in Safe Search option
-Selected “JPG files” under image type
-Selected “free to use or share” under usage rights
-Kept all other options as default selections
-Selected image and dragged and dropped it onto my desktop
-Clicked on image and copied the link it originated from:http://supermarketclash.blogspot.com/
-Clicked on the link provided on the webpage (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/) with the privacy policies that stated in layman’s terms that the privacy policy was: You are free to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work; You are free to Remix — to adapt the work.

The image I choose is protected by a creative commons copyright witch encourages me to share it and use it for my own interests, at least that’s what I gathered in the video we watched this week (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io3BrAQl3so).  I also went to the blog this photo originated from and the creative commons copyright terms were those that I noted above.

I want to be a good role model in the classroom and this includes following proper copyright procedures.  I do not want my students to end up in court or paying heavy fines because they took away misinformation regarding proper copyright etiquette in my classroom based on my actions.  I believe that actions speak louder than words, so if I back up all of my presentations and materials with copyright information, it will not only show the students that I take the time to do this but also provide them with an example of a citation.

I will take the time to teach this important skill to my students, as digital natives, with so much information at their fingertips, I doubt they even think about who owns what they are re-posting and tweeting all over the internet.  At the rate information moves through cyber-space it is hard to keep track of who owns what, but I want my students to at least make an attempt at avoiding theft of someone else’s hard work.

Resources:

Nika. (2008, November 23). Lost in the supermarket: Dear Jabari [Photo]. Retrieved from http://supermarketclash.blogspot.com/

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  1. jdosch says:

I think providing students with an overview lesson on copyright would really help them. This way it gives the teacher something to build on throughout the year, a sort of “baseline” for all the students.

2. lanthony says:

Jeanette-
    I love the picture. Cats are so cute. I used the same search as you. I thought it was a lot easier then the others listed in this weeks. I put the steps just like you, so if other students wanted to follow them they could. I also agree with you that it is very important to teach students about copyright rules and how they can search for things the right way since not everything on the internet is a good source.

3. jwomack says:

I could not agree more with you when you say “it is hard to know who owns what”. The internet is so vast and their is so much information it seems like you have to go to three or four websites before you get the original information. It is very important that we give our students great examples of how to access material we find online. Do you think you would give your students a lesson on Copyright specifically or would it just be something you inform them about throughout your teaching?

4. Jordan Kroll says:

Jeanette,

I agree that the best way to teach our students about the importance attribution is through leading by example. If they see a citation for every picture and video clip I use in a powerpoint, the idea that they need to cite everything will be more comfortable to them than if I just do a lecture about the importance of these things at the beginning of the semester, and then don’t do them myself. It’s extra work, but I think once it becomes something that all teachers are doing and are requiring of their students, it will just become an extra step like spell checking.

5. Angela says:

Jeanette,

I love that picture. I also have two cats that are constantly making me laugh.

I really like how you took us step by step through the process of searching for the photograph and putting it onto your blog. I didn’t do that on my blog, and now I really wish I would have! From the standpoint of a teacher and not a student, it’s important to walk your students through step by step when the information is brand new to them and it’s as important as following copyright laws.