Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 | Author:

This is a wonderful concept and something I would like to try once I get inside the classroom.  Providing students with the flexibility to take the classroom anywhere opens so many doors.  Looking at it from an English teachers perspective this could be very useful when it comes to teaching grammar lessons.  The students can watch the “lecture” portion on their time, and the following class the warm-up activity for the first 10-20 minutes of class can be dedicated to putting into practice what they learned the night before. It would also be a useful tool when introducing students to new vocabulary terms in pieces of literature they are reading. However, it does worries me that some students may not be motivated to watch the lectures on their own, but I guess that leaves it up to the teacher to make the videos entertaining and short enough to make the students want to watch them.

I also enjoyed reading the article “The Flipped Classroom Revealed” in The Daily Riff because it pointed out some of the characteristics that appeared in a successful “flipped” classroom environment.  The common theme throughout all of the characteristics was based on the students’ focus and drive.  Discussions were led by the students and typically reached higher orders of critical thinking.  The students were able to collaborate seamlessly with one another on various topics and interest, and in turn were able to relate what they were learning to real-world scenarios.  The students challenged each other, took ownership of the material, and led one another in discussions without prompting from the teacher.  It was apparent that students in the successful flipped learning environment were becoming active listeners, who were actively engaged in problem solving and critical thinking that went beyond the scope of the course and beyond the core curriculum.

These students had become genuinely interested in what they were learning and in turn they wanted to fully understand how, when and where to apply their new knowledge.  These are the types of students I want in my classroom, so if I need to “flip” it around in order to find these students I don’t see any problem in at least trying it out.  Besides kids today are so attached to their handheld devices that I’m sure they would love to go home and tell their parents they “have to use the internet” to do their homework.  I realize there is still the possibility of students not having access to a computer or streaming device at home, but they can always take advantage of other resources such as the local library, school library, or work with a friend to complete the online lectures.  Where there is a will there is a way, and I believe that part of this flipped classroom environment is putting the student in control of whether or not they will come to class ready to work or not.

Resources:

Bennet, B., Gudenrath, A., Kern, J., & McIntosh, P.  (2012).  The flipped class revealed.  The Daily Riff.  Retrieved from http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-flipped-class-what-does-a-good-one-look-like-692.php

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  1. acrerie says:

I also was really digging the flipped classroom environment. I especially appreciated your phrase of students “taking ownership” of the material– I think this is absolutely true and wonderful! I also wanted to take a moment to agree with your statement re: students with limited resources. Although certainly they are at a disadvantage (that cannot be argued), this does not mean they should be excused from the required work. What kind of message does that send? It may seem “unfair” to the student who has to go to the library to do his or her homework, but life is not fair (cliche alert), and every student needs to learn how to best navigate the world in order to complete what has been assigned to them. That’s life.

2. Leigh Cruz says:

I really enjoyed your take on the flipped classroom. I agree with you that there will be students that aren’t motivated to watch the lectures on their own, but like you stated we as teachers will need to make them fun and short enough to get the students attention. As far as the internet situation goes, I think that it shouldn’t be a problem. Form the youtube video that I watched there was a teacher that allowed students to watch the videos during lunch, before/after school and even during the classroom while the other students worked on the activities. In this concept I feel like everyone is at their own pace, which is really good for students that work and learn at a slower pace. When you try this in a class ,let me know how it goes. I can’t wait to try it in class.

3. Jordan Kroll says:

I enjoyed reading your positive perspective on the flipped classroom. When I first considered it, I was put off by the fact that in many cases, students are doing less work outside of class, which I think is detrimental to their work ethic and drive as they continue in the workplace or college. I really like the point you made, however, when you said that the flipped classroom allows students who wouldn’t otherwise engage with the material to become more involved, and it puts their educations in their own hands. I hadn’t really considered this idea, as I viewed a flipped classroom as one where lazy kids could come to school and do the types of assignments that were previously given as homework, but I think maybe it is worth a shot if it helps kids who would otherwise be cutting class and skipping assignments.