Friday, March 22nd, 2013 | Author:

I struggled this week trying to choose which two mini-projects I was going to complete.  I felt as though this selection of tools would all work wonderfully for history and social studies classes because of the very specific nature of some of the websites that involved timelines.

At first I thought I would try working a timeline for Jack London’s “To Build A Fire,” but then I realized there were not any specific dates tied to the story, so my “timeline’s” dates would have been inaccurate.  I would have been grateful for an “estimate date” option or a “year only” option for my timeline.  It also would have been nice to see options such as “Day 1”, “Day 2”, “Day 3”, to show the progression of a short story that has no specific dates.  This frustrated me a bit so I decided to move on with my timetoast.com project and create a simple timeline of William Shakespeare.  While he was an actual person, there were still issues with the program requiring specific dates.  A good portion of the information regarding Shakespeare contains estimated timeframes, but I gave it my best effort and made sure to include in the details when my dates were not exact.  Overall, I enjoyed timetoast but I will definately look for a tool that allows students to chronologgially order short stories or larger works of literature without the need for specific dates.

Check out my timetoast: http://www.timetoast.com/timelines/william-shakespeare–96

The next mini-project I tackled was the google my maps.  I actually had a lot of fun with this tool, but it can become a bit time consuming.  I recommend having a definite plan before starting this type of project because it is easy to “pin” every little detail.  The features I really enjoyed were the ease of incorporating images and text, the extremely user-friendly interface, and the ability to relate different events to different places on the world map.  This will be an incredible tool for visual students who need to see where each location is that is being discussed along with relevant images to the text and content being discussed.   I also feel as though students in the middle to high school level would enjoy putting together mini-projects such as this.  It probably would not be too much of a stretch for them since students today are so wrapped-up in technology anyway.

Check out my google my maps herehttps://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207900726829296894425.0004d847e066327986631&msa=0&ll=37.743028,-122.305298&spn=0.281803,0.593948

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  1. caseycatron says:

hi jeanette! you did such a wonderful job with your google map. I too found that this was a really fun tool to use but could definitely be time consuming. It was great to see how you interpreted this assignment and made it work for your content area. I think it seems like an extremely exciting and interesting lesson! great job!

casey

2. Angela Fritz says:

I also found that I was frustrated with the rigid nature of choosing dates while using timetoast. I didn’t have an exact date for some things, but basically had to make them up because I couldn’t just say “February 1865” for example. It would be nice to have a program that’s a little more flexible in that regard. I love your timeline, though!

I’m a huge fan of your google map! Gosh, it just took me forever to put mine together, but I think it’s worth it. This is definitely a tool that would help spatial leaners organize everything and see it holistically. I could see this being a regular feature in a secondary classroom. Great work!

3. Justin says:

These projects had a lot going on with them. That is unfortunate how rigid the program you working with is on dates. It would definitely make a difference if there was more freedom in how to list the events. I agree students in the secondary level would really enjoy things like this. It is something different that is not reading out a book and doing examples. These kind of projects challenge our students to think and that is what we need in schools.